Wednesday 14 October 2015

Video Tutorial: Masking Tape Technique with Washi Tape!



Want a fun and easy background technique that you can do with just a few supplies? Well the Masking Tape Technique is for you!

This technique has been lurking around for years, but until a couple of weeks ago I had never tried it. Then I did, and liked the result so much I decided to schedule it into this month's classes as the Technique of the month.  And you can play with it, to create different effects.. so get your supplies and have some fun!

You will need:


  • Base paper.. if you are wanting your colours to be true then stick to basic neutrals like Whisper White, Shimmery White, Very Vanilla.  Once you've had a play you might like to experiment and use other base materials. 
  • Dye or water-based inks in a colour palette of your choice. For the piece in the video I used Island Indigo, Pool Party and Smoky Slate, but you can use any colours your heart desires!
  • Masking Tape! The smaller the piece of paper you are working on, the narrower your tape needs to be. So for this small piece I used Washi because it was much narrower than the Masking tape that I had on hand. 
That's it!

Here's the ATC I made for the video.. 



Watch the video and let me know what you think! And have fun!




No comments: